Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Orange Slush – Wacky Wednesday

Orange Slush

Orange Slush

Acrylic on 8”x8” canvas

Copyright 2010 Valerie Jones

 

Last Wednesday, I shared with you my impromptu purchase of some acrylic paints.  

I finished the piece and changed the name from Orange Gerber Daisy to Orange Slush. 

Things I learned:

  • Never use a brush after drinking too much coffee.  It helps the artist create shaky lines.
  • To blend the colors smoothly, work wet on wet.
  • To paint the sides of the gallery wrap canvas, add a little Golden Acrylic Glazing Liquid Medium (Satin). This keeps from streaks appearing after the paint dries.
  • You can layer light washes of color going light to dark, just like in colored pencil. 
  • It’s quick!  I didn’t keep track of the hours, but I think it is 5 or less.  A colored pencil piece this size would have taken me over 20 hours.

What are things you like about your medium of choice?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Orange Slush is lush!

I'll try your suggestion of using the glazing medium on the sides next time I paint a gallery-wrap. Although I am primarily a mosaic artist, it is hard to stay away from acrylic paints. They ARE a lot faster than either colored pencil or mosaic techniques.

Jo Castillo said...

Ah, this is beautiful. You are a quick study! Your previous Gerber Daisies are just wonderful. I'm way too impatient for pencil work. You amaze me with your lines and shadows. :)

Valerie Jones said...

Lynn: Thank you. I have another daisy in the works and it is titled "Pink Passion". I'll show it to you someday soon.

Jo: Thanks. The acrylics weren't too hard to pick up. I started out in oils, so they flow in a similar fashion when wet.