Thursday, September 4, 2008

Create What You Want to Create

8x10 on Strathmore 300 Series Bristol, 100lb smooth paper

I was reading the August/September 2008 issue of Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion magazine when I came upon the article about Jane Sisco . She says, "Why do something anyone else could do?" This quote really got me to thinking. I always seem to see something and say, “Oh, I could do that!” Then I try to do that. But why try to mimic someone else when God created us to do something unique? If you haven't noticed, the word “unique” keeps coming up in my posts.

As an art instructor, I teach drawing the way others have taught to achieve a realistic look. I also teach art the way I create a drawing. But I am finding my own style of drawing that works for me to achieve what I want to achieve. My hope for my students is to learn their own style as well. I don’t want to hinder a person if their own style is showing through. If there are any teachers/artists who are reading this, how do you make sure your students let their own styles shine through in their work?

I try to let my student’s style shine through by:
- offering advice when asked
- let them experiment with different drawing styles
- let them try different pencils (graphite or color)
- have fun and enjoy themselves

There are probably more things but it’s difficult to think of everything.

4 comments:

Rose Welty said...

Valerie, that is a gorgeous portrait. I love the subtle shading in your style - something I could never have the patience for. It's an interesting question you bring up! I don't think I have any pearls to offer, but I just had to say that is a great portrait!

Kasie @ ~The Art of Life~ said...

I love the portrait Valerie! It's adorable and you've really captured his personality.

Like Rose said, you've brought up an interesting question. I'm not sure of the answer either. I think your suggestions are great. I think encouragement with one's art is very key in having the courage to develop a personal style. But at the same time I've always been thankful for mentors or people who could honestly, helpfully critique my work because it helps me to grow technically. I guess it takes a balance of both and that balance is what makes a great art teacher. (Like you!)

Jo Castillo said...

Just a great portrait and cute kid. You give good advice. Might add practice, practice, practice. :)

missysue said...

Hi, Valerie!!!! Just let me know if you're ever in the St. Louis area and we'll get together for a shoot! The blog is awesome as always!