Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Amish, Ice Cream, and Birthdays


Awhile back, our family took a trip to visit family in Amish country. While there, we bought some ice cream sandwich wafers. My son's birthday was coming upon us, so we thought they would be good for his celebration.



I began by making the ice cream. It was an ordeal, to say the least. The motor on the ice cream freezer kept locking up. So, with the help of WD-40 and a little elbow grease, I was able to finally get the ice cream made.

The end result.....ice cream sandwiches and one happy birthday boy!



The ice cream recipe I used is my mother's standby. Give it a try!

VANILLA ICE CREAM

5 eggs
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 tablespoons vanilla
1 quart heavy whipping cream
½ gallon milk
Beat eggs, add sugar, salt, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream. Mix together. Pour mixture into ice cream canister. Add milk to top of dasher blades.

Yield: 1 gallon

No comments: