Monday, November 17, 2008

Focus on the Positive

Work in Progress
Graphite on Strathmore Bristol Smooth 300 Series 100lb
Here of late, I have been worrying about why my art doesn’t sell. The biggest reason is because I have been creating pieces for family and close friends and I GIVE IT AWAY! I have been enjoying the process of creating that I can’t wait to share it with family and friends. I’ve been focusing on the positive elements of the process and not the end product of selling.

Yes, I still worry if other pieces will sell but while I’m waiting, I will still be creating. I have been thinking about creating smaller pieces that will enable me to get them done quickly. Quicker pieces results in more quantity. I’ll let God focus on the quality and I’ll focus on the quantity. Do you think I can pull it off?

What do you do when you run into the worry about sales?

1 comment:

Jo Castillo said...

This is coming along beautifully. Just so nice.

I had a friend that said, "Never give anything away, even your Mom and Dad will buy it if they like it." :) I never followed that, with close family. I have also given to charity for a worthy cause. There is no way to know what will sell. The right person at the right time. Work that I enjoyed doing usually sells. But other work that I had put to the side has sold, too. You have to market about as much as you paint, be dependable, follow up with buyers, etc.

It is always a worry to wait and see, huh? I just try not to think about it and paint because I like to paint.